I’ve been fortunate enough to play around with an iPhone 6s for the last half hour or so, albeit isn’t mine, and I wanted to write up a few quick and general impressions.
- Firstly, 3D Touch is not the gimmick I coined it when it was first announced. I was Peeking and Popping all over the system, in Safari, in Messages, to quick-launch the Selfie camera, to flick back between apps etc. It saves time and will only get better as more third party developers implement it.
- Live Photos are a disappointment for me. They work every time (even with the front “selfie” camera!) but they appear to be low resolution and have a low frame rate. This makes for a poor playback experience, and I feel as though I’m watching a video off of an iPhone 3GS - not off of a smartphone camera in 2015. I’m not sure if they’ll get better over time, but I sure hope they do. Side note, a lot of “Live Photos” end with the camera being put down towards the floor, which ruins them, but I won’t complain about that because I hear it’s fixed in the forthcoming iOS 9.1 update.
- The A9 chip. This this is a beast. iPhone 6s flies, literally. I presume it’s also got something to do with the 2GB of internal RAM. Animations are faster, apps launch faster and iPhone 6s feels like it can handle anything.
- Yes, it’s heavier than its iPhone 6 predecessor however that’s barley noticeable. It is visually thicker too, but only when held side-by-side an iPhone 6. Nothing to worry about here, move on…
- Touch ID. It’s ludicrously quick. Easily twice as quick when compared to an iPhone 6. Need I say more?
Well, there you have it. My initial impressions of all the flagship features of iPhone 6s. It’s a very impressive device. Dare I say it… best on the market.